(Indention Load Deflection)
ILD is short for Indentation Load Deflection. It is a test of the force required to compress a material by 25% of its size. The number of pounds it takes to compress the latex becomes the piece’s ILD. Also called IFD (indentation force deflection). Let us get into exploring ILD in order to better understand how to buy a latex mattress. Organic Mattress companies often use ILD to describe the firmness and plushness of the natural latex layers.
Although exploring ILD is a valuable industrial standard, it can be a little complicated and confusing. So, based on our years of experience, customer interviews and feedbacks, allow us to simplify it for you…
More often than not we get questions about layers of latex ILDs and how they relate to mattress comfort. And because of this demand, we decided to do our own comprehensive research and share it with our organic family – our customers. ILD can be quite complicated, especially if someone that has no experience with latex is writing an article on it base on written research and advising customers what firmness to get solely based on ILDs.
Some basics about ILD:
- When measuring the ILD the tools used is a 7.5” diameter circular plate, and it has no resemblance to a human being. Therefore this proves that ILD measurements have no bearing on how the foam interacts with your body when sleeping.
- According to our research, the ILD measurement is only applicable at 25% compression. With limitations such as this, it cannot accurately indicate the foam full performance when it is squeezed above or lesser than 25%. A good example would be our Dunlop vs. Talalay latex mattress; some of our Dunlop foam are very similar to our Talalay latex foam. However, natural Dunlop latex are typically denser than natural Talalay’s because Dunlop is compacted by more than 25%.
- As you’re aware, some parts of your body – for instance, your shoulders and hips – carries more weight and therefore will typically squeeze more latex than the other parts – like your feet. It is highly unlikely – not to mention improbable – that your entire body would compact a layer at exactly 25%.
- It is unlikely that sheets of natural latex foam will have the same ILD all over the entire sheet. Although latex ILD embodies the acceptable ratings, the distinction, however, can sometimes be blatantly obvious. In addition, here we are talking about the average measure of the natural foam sheet instead of one specific part on the natural foam.
- Although most latex suppliers no longer disclose ILD measurement for their products, however, the real ILD ratings depends on the sizes of the material. When cutting a 6” sheet of latex with an ILD of 22 in half, the outcome will be two 3” sheets and ILDs of 13 – 15. Just this example alone is enough to make your head spin when shopping of a latex mattress based on ILD (Indention Load Deflection) Our research concludes that all manufacturers including Dunlop latex and Talalay latex follow a similar process.
- At Natural Mattress Matters we don’t fit a person to a mattress based on ILD, instead we look at alignment, posture, pain and pressure relief, and perhaps a person has a wider shoulder or the lady has wider hips. All these are critical factors to take into consideration when personalizing and fitting a person to the proper mattress.
Our research also revealed that the production of a mattress exterior can make a huge difference on the comfort level by adding cushioning. It all depends on how the exterior is assembled; if manufactured to be too snugly, the rigid exterior adds to a feeling of firmness and comfort. Meanwhile, when the exterior is manufactured with excess fiber or elastic fabric, it can give out a softer look and feel. See our GOTS Organic Cotton Covers in our SpringLeaf Mattress Collection.
Best Natural Latex Foam Configuration
Picking the BEST mattress that’s both healthy for your living space and the planet isn’t really a rocket science. As the saying goes; when facing a complex situation, the simplest answer is probably the correct one. If you truly want to pick the RIGHT natural foam latex mattress layers with the proper configuration. Our mattress experts will guide you towards the best mattress with different configurations and designs to find out the best choice for you.
Natural Mattress Matters is here to help
If you’re ready to start living a healthy lifestyle with our quality natural products, pick up the phone now and call us – or stop by our showroom store near Atlanta, GA between Alpharetta and Duluth in the beautiful city of Johns Creek. After our mattress experts ask you just a few guided questions, you will feel like it all made sense when you read this article.
In summary, Exploring ILD doesn’t really rank on the high scale of things. Worrying about some abstract numbers is not the best way to utilize your time. The time you could otherwise spend productively browsing through our immersed catalog and picking the RIGHT natural mattress that’s just made for you.
Need a quality eco-friendly mattress but don’t know where to start? Call us today for a FREE consultation. Or check out our pre-selected natural mattresses just for YOU here!