Non Toxic Sofa
Back in 1975, California made furniture combustibility standard with an end goal to support California occupants’ escape time in case of a family unit fire by 12 seconds. This provoked upholstered furniture creators to utilize materials (generally froth) that contain fire-retardant chemicals. Also, since furniture producers would not like to make isolate models only for Californians, almost all furniture, even the sleeper sofas is made from that point forward with these chemicals. Natural Mattress Matters believes that our customers deserve better, we want all our customers to enjoy a comfortable and healthy living environment with our non toxic sofa.
Eco Friendly Couches
While we believe that the intention was to protect the consumers with the fire-retardants, but the end result was perhaps more damaging due to the effects of those chemicals to consumers. In addition, using organic materials our eco friendly couches are great for the environment by using recyclable materials and at the same time biodegradable.
Non Toxic Sofa Flame Retardants
Non toxic sofas are those sofas which do not have toxic flame retardants present in them. In addition, natural materials are used such as certified GOTS organic cotton, wool, and natural latex. Now, after reading the above line the question will appear what are Flame Retardants exactly?
Basically flame retardants are a cocktail of chemicals.
Some common fire retardants:
- Antimony– A highly toxic metal component that is applied to the fabric inside a mattress.
- Boric Acid– This is also added to interior fabric. Although it is lower in toxicity, it is still bad for the eyes and lungs and can cause irritation.
- Halogenated Flame RetardantS (HFRS) – Bromine and chlorine. You may have come across it as polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs).
Additional chemicals could include:
- Vinyl– A plastic component used on the outside to make the mattress waterproof. Vinyl contains phthalates and heavy metals, like lead, to make it soft and flexible. It requires toxic chemicals during production.
- Polyurethane Foam– Another important plastic based component made from petroleum. It is mostly used in the core structure either in the furniture or mattresses. It burns easily so it requires flame retardants and in most cases it will contain VOC’s. The VOC’s in polyurethane foam leak into the air and make the indoor air more toxic.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) – could potentially include isocyanates and toluene. They have the potential to cause constant headaches and irritate the eyes, nose and throat. They can also damage the liver, kidney, and central nervous system causing loss of coordination and nausea. Some have the potential to cause cancer after long term exposure.
This cocktail of chemicals could have severe affects on your health and your loved once. The fact is that chemicals in conventional beds, sofas, and furniture degrade and can expose us to harmful contaminants. Dust particles contact skins or be inhaled, and swallowed. This can lead to migraines, cancer, skin issues, obesity, learning and memory deficit, infertility, heart, lung, kidney damage, and developmental brain disorders. Children carry the highest risk.
Affordable Organic Couches
Our Non Toxic Sofa is made of the following materials:
- Certified sustainable solid hardwood (maple)
- GOTS-certified organic upholstery (hemp, cotton duck, hemp-cotton blend)
- Cradle-to-Cradle certified Natural Talalay latex foam
- Natural coir (coconut fiber with natural latex)
- Zero-VOC natural linseed oil
- Low-VOC water-based stain with linseed coating
NO: flame retardants, formaldehyde glue, cardboard, metal coils, particle board, plywood or veneer
Not Toxic Sofa Construction
Removable seat and back cushions
Dimensions: 84″W x 34″D x 30.5″H
We also offer Armchairs and Loveseats
We ship everywhere and serve Atlanta, Georgia, Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Tennessee, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Alabama, providing the best quality, value, & service for…call for pricing and delivery/shipping information.