Why a Chemical Free Mattress Matters
During our initial conversations we often touch on the detoxing process of households with out clients. We stress the importance why the mattress should be one of the first things they should upgrade when detoxing their homes. Especially, when it comes to our kids and crib mattresses. Chemical Free Mattress Guide, Non-Toxic Beds, Organic Natural Latex Mattresses are just a few services and products we provide at Natural Mattress Matters in Georgia, GA
Why we feel so strongly about sleeping on a non-toxic mattress? One the obvious reasons is babies and kids spend a lot of time sleeping. In addition, us grownups spend at least one-third of our lives in bed.
As a further matter, there is substantial evidence that your immune system works hardest at night. Well, if our immune system is busy fighting toxic chemicals from our mattresses, how is it going to have enough time to repair and improve our immune system?!
So we can see the importance of having a healthy sleep environment. Unfortunately, mattresses are full of harmful chemicals, such as:
- Majority of the mattresses are made with various petrochemicals.
- Various plastics or vinyls.
- Toxic flame retardant chemicals.
These type of mattresses, we like to refer to them as the chemical cocktail. These mattresses release VOCs (volatile organic compounds), which are linked to a number of health problems, such as regular headaches, cancer, skin irritation, obesity, learning and memory deficit, infertility, heart, lung, and kidney damage
These can be particularly effective on a brand new purchase of a mattress.
What to Look for in a Mattress
Now that we have established what to avoid in the mattress, lets see what you should look for in a mattress.
- Organically raised wool or certified organic wool would be the best, which is also naturally flame and mildew/dust mite resistant.
- 100% natural latex (sap rubber trees) is better quality and safer than blended latex, which may contain petroleum-based polyurethane. Definitely try to avoid synthetic latex, which is usually made from styrene, a human carcinogen.
- Certified organic cotton is a must-cotton is one of the most chemically treated crops, so certified organic is the best option.
- Highly recommended certifications, such as GOLS, Cradle to Cradle, GreenGuard, Oeko-Tex, and GOTS, are useful in helping eliminate some of the toxic ingredients that are in the conventional mattresses.
It is important to mentioned that all certifications are not created equal!
We, Natural Mattress Matters provide nontoxic, organic mattresses, latex mattresses, natural latex foam mattresses, natural talalay latex mattresses, furniture, and sofas without toxic flame retardants. Visit our store today – Our store is located in Johns Creek, GA near Atlanta, Georgia (GA) area.